• Saat ini anda mengakses IndoForum sebagai tamu dimana anda tidak mempunyai akses penuh untuk melihat artikel dan diskusi yang hanya diperuntukkan bagi anggota IndoForum. Dengan bergabung maka anda akan memiliki akses penuh untuk melakukan tanya-jawab, mengirim pesan teks, mengikuti polling dan menggunakan feature-feature lainnya. Proses registrasi sangatlah cepat, mudah dan gratis.
    Silahkan daftar dan validasi email anda untuk dapat mengakses forum ini sepenuhnya sebagai anggota. Harap masukkan alamat email yang benar dan cek email anda setelah daftar untuk validasi.

Why Indonesian Student Prefer English Than Bahasa !

For me english is an international language and it make me easier to communicate with other country. while Bahasa Indonesia is a local language and only a few people know Bahasa Indonesia. lol

Say, I never did get any response, especially from balcan and kenji, to the following post of mine:

No, i DON'T think mandarin has become an international business language. Japanese is.

what's there to analyze? it's pretty damn obvious here in this THREAD we have so many broken-english losers who keep on raving 'mandarin' all the time, when the topic isn't about mandarin.
the topic is pretty simple: why students prefer english than BAHASA,
and NOT: why students prefer english than MANDARIN !!!

and what i said is pretty simple: you wanna be heard, speak the world's language. don't force others to learn yours.
you think that's too harsh?
well, i'm sorry but some brains can respond to a needle prick,
while others only respond to a sledgehammer.

It takes a nutcracker to crack a nut.

Dude you totally miss the point.
any additional foreign language skill is a benefit,
but the point here is: which one is the PRIORITY?

Hmm.. i think not right to use "prefer" for a topic...why?
Because some people study english just to follow the rules at their work, college, or the other....
Actually, maybe they dont want to do some study, buw what their can do?
So, people start to study english....

Clear ?

i think english is very useful for every country
but i don't like english...because many meaning i can't understand..
and i am bad on listening...thus far i am still studying english to improve my listenng skill
but i think it doesn't work...can every body help me?how to train listening?please because it's important to me

Why?? I think it's because some inconsistency of rules in Bahasa..
There's a rules, but sometimes it followed by "except".. It makes
everyone confused.. That is bahasa..

i think learning english in our school should be increased of the quality

especially in conversation, where other country in south east asia have improvement ini it

Observations

In my opinion, a lot of the reluctance in actually using Bahasa Indonesia, or the admitting of liking, and instead resort to English may be due to several reasons, and amongst others:

1. Deep rooted conscious/unconscious feeling of lack of pride in own country. And I don't mean to the extend of having patriotic sense, but mere acceptance. Many despise their own country, consciously or otherwise, that they'd rather "look-away" and resort to other means of identity-creation. Although it is a fact that they live in the country and that they are the citizen of the country, they somehow daydream, or imagine their way out off their disappointment with their country, and opt to choose other country (in this case, the language) in stead.

2. Direct/Indirect effect of having to live within English-language-oriented environment. And it's true that living in such environment (and only if) may introduce the necessity to actually utilize English as their main means of linguistic communication.

3. Self-delusional pretence that they are off, or belong to other alien group, which in turn, may create the concept that they are "different" and not "like the rest". All these render a state of inflated (although possibly delusional) ego. This can often be seen in those "trying" to sound like something that they're not. For example, someone has been living in England for a while and they'd unnaturally imitate the British-accent.

4. Other causes that may or may not induce natural preferance of actually using English language as their means of linguistic communication.

By nature, and by the law of congruence, people are best at their mother tongue, unless they forcefully, and unnaturally intend to alter their status-quo in linguistic capability. No exeptions, no matter how a person may say that it is "easier" or more "natural" for him/her to use English, while English may not be their mother tongue.

coz you are IN Indonesia....off course English is prefer than Bahasa....if you are living at English, maybe not....maybe you like French or Germany....other country's language is cooler than the country itself....that's what i thought....

In my opinion, Bahasa somehow lacks of vocabulary , not as rich as English
Sometimes I even don't know how to translate some words from English to Indonesia because bahasa don't have the equal meaning.
No wonder if some Indonesian prefer to use English in spite of it's richness in vocabulary.

Hi i'm a new kid in this forum..

I think, it's because of MTV channel. it brings the cool feelings if we can talk in English, because the VJs look very cool in speaking in English.

English is worldwide known as Int'l language
No wonder we are freaking in this language..

Actually, it's not that difficult to learn english.
Learning by doing/practicing, in speaking/conversation also in writing.
Reading is very effective to help you with the vocabularies and grammar.

Personally, I prefer english too in writing letters for business, such in agreement, contract, MOU, etc.
Especially at this moment, and if I have some contracts or deals with the Indonesian companies, I will still use english as an official language in all business letters because is more simple compare with Indonesian language.

It doesnt mean that I didnt love my native language, but in the business, there are many terms which we couldnt find what the meaning was.

:)

for me... bahasa so complicated... sometimes when u want to say "a" you have to say "b" first before you say "a"...

then.. for me english is much more cool than bahasa it self....

then.. coz it's time for globalization buddy... u will got lost if u can't speak nor understand english... hhee...

In my opinion, a lot of the reluctance in actually using Bahasa Indonesia, or the admitting of liking, and instead resort to English may be due to several reasons, and amongst others:

1. Deep rooted conscious/unconscious feeling of lack of pride in own country.

I agree. As a red-blooded Indonesian, i have to confess i am also a victim to that syndrome.

Why?

Well, after 60ish years of independence, the biggest thing everyone keeps bragging about this nation is that we are one of very few in the world who 'fought' for our freedom. We weren't handed independence on a platter like Malaysia and many others. This premise has been the root of the Japanese-style nationalism we are trying to grow in our own minds.
But, that very principle itself is actually a FAKE!!!
There is not a single colonial invader that we indonesians managed to muscle out of our home by our own hands: the Portuguese were kicked out by the Dutch, the Dutch were slaughtered by the Japanese, and the Japanese were dragged out by the Americans, after Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
And everyone keeps telling themselves how great this nation was.

We indonesians also pretend we are a one-of-a-kind race that comprises of diverse but 'united' sub-races. This is also a fake premise. Everyone keeps lying to themselves that they belong to the same root while they don't.
This is a nation of self-bullshitting, fake pretenders and it is natural for such people to always try to copy others.

And don't forget, I'm also talking about myself here! ;)

coz young indonesian thought that using English is cooler than using Bahasa, which is not

Which is Not what?

English is more complicated than Indonesia though

I think, Bahasa is more comfortable to use, although it is harder than English. Bahasa is more complicated with its vocab.

coz you are IN Indonesia....off course English is prefer than Bahasa....if you are living at English, maybe not....maybe you like French or Germany....other country's language is cooler than the country itself....that's what i thought....

I TOTALLY Agree with above me !!!

URL Pendek:

| JAKARTA | BANDUNG | PEKANBARU | SURABAYA | SEMARANG |

Back
Atas.