• Saat ini anda mengakses IndoForum sebagai tamu dimana anda tidak mempunyai akses penuh untuk melihat artikel dan diskusi yang hanya diperuntukkan bagi anggota IndoForum. Dengan bergabung maka anda akan memiliki akses penuh untuk melakukan tanya-jawab, mengirim pesan teks, mengikuti polling dan menggunakan feature-feature lainnya. Proses registrasi sangatlah cepat, mudah dan gratis.
    Silahkan daftar dan validasi email anda untuk dapat mengakses forum ini sepenuhnya sebagai anggota. Harap masukkan alamat email yang benar dan cek email anda setelah daftar untuk validasi.

English Pop Quiz!

Ah sorry, I forgot you've answered it :D
Revision: the main sentence of the paragraph :D
Above answer will not be counted.

In that case...
Shorthand was used more widely in the past, before the invention of recording and dictation machines.

Is wrong :D
Let me give you a hint: First sentence isn't always the main topic sentence.
Let's wait for another English Teacher :)

ANSWERS LEFT: 4

^
yeah right, just guessing. I'm not to good at this even on Indonesian :P

Yes what I was said is the main subject not the main topic.
Ah no fair it's answered by an English Teacher :(

Hey i'm not a teacher anymore. And i really don't like teaching, so i don't really enjoy being referred to as 'teacher'...

but guess I have to give you the GRP then :)

:D Yeah finally. I think this will be the first GRP anyone's given me since I joined this forum.

Although the primary use of shorthand has been to record oral dictation or discourse, some systems are used for compact expression.

@LomX
this is d question... >:D<
Question from me:

Find the main subject of this paragraph:
"Shorthand was used more widely in the past, before the invention of recording and dictation machines. Until recently, shorthand was considered an essential part of secretarial training as well as being useful for journalists. Although the primary use of shorthand has been to record oral dictation or discourse, some systems are used for compact expression. For example, health-care professionals may use shorthand notes in medical charts and correspondence. Shorthand is also common in the food service industry, allowing wait staff to write down detailed orders without delay. Shorthand notes are typically temporary, intended either for immediate use, or for later transcription to longhand."

Answer Limit: 5 answers.

But the question's different. Now you have to find the main sentence.

Aw I'm sorry I didn't see YuuChan's post before. Yes it is correct. But I would rather choose "Shorthand notes are typically temporary, intended either for immediate use, or for later transcription to longhand. ". GRP for YuuChan :)

Shall I give the next question? This question comes from the worksheet of my workplace^^ See if you can do it :P

Text:
Sarah came forward, and stood in front of her mistresss. 'I must insist on knowing of what I am accused.' Mrs Poulteney told her.
To her amazement Sarah swhoed not the least sign of shame.
'But what is the sin in walking on Ware Commons?'
'The sin! You, a young woman, alone, in such a place!'
'But ma'am, it is nothing but a large wood.'
'I know very well what it is. And what goes on there. And the sort of person who frequents it.'
'No one frequents it. That is why I go there - to be alone.'
'Do you contradict me, miss! Am I not to know what I speak of?'
The first simple fact was that Mrs Poulteney had never set eyes on Ware Commons, even from a distance, since it was out of sight of any carriage road. The second simple fact is that she was an opium-addict - but before you think I am wildly sacrificing plausibility to sensation, let me quickly add that she did not know it.

Taken from: The French Lieutenant's Woman, Level L 198b.

Question:
Read the passage and comment on the bolded section. (How are Mrs Poulteney's words made ironic?)

ANSWER LIMIT:
72 Hours

Shall I give the next question? This question comes from the worksheet of my workplace^^ See if you can do it :P

Text:
Sarah came forward, and stood in front of her mistresss. 'I must insist on knowing of what I am accused.' Mrs Poulteney told her.
To her amazement Sarah swhoed not the least sign of shame.
'But what is the sin in walking on Ware Commons?'
'The sin! You, a young woman, alone, in such a place!'
'But ma'am, it is nothing but a large wood.'
'I know very well what it is. And what goes on there. And the sort of person who frequents it.'
'No one frequents it. That is why I go there - to be alone.'
'Do you contradict me, miss! Am I not to know what I speak of?'
The first simple fact was that Mrs Poulteney had never set eyes on Ware Commons, even from a distance, since it was out of sight of any carriage road. The second simple fact is that she was an opium-addict - but before you think I am wildly sacrificing plausibility to sensation, let me quickly add that she did not know it.

Taken from: The French Lieutenant's Woman, Level L 198b.

Question:
Read the passage and comment on the bolded section. (How are Mrs Poulteney's words made ironic?)

Mrs.Poulteney's words are made ironic in the sense that she claims she knows what she's talking about (the Ware Commons) while in fact she's never even seen the place.
The fact that she herself is an opium-addict may or may not have anything to do with Ware Commons, but it certainly should've prevented herself from condemning other people for any negative behaviors they might have.

Good answer, as always, but is there any other answer?

Looks like the question is far too hard :D
Okay, this is the perfect answer:

Mrs. Poulteney claims to know what she speaks of. The author then informs us that she has never even seen Ware Commons, and that she is under the influence of opium. Mrs Poulteney therefore cannot know what she speaks of, making her claim that she does ironic.

Next question. Determine the figure of speech used in these sentences.

1)
The invasion of Iraq by America is going to reach its end.

2)
I've waited for him for ages! Where is he?

3)
Hey, I want to go to England this summer!

Correct~
Take note that number 2 should be written "hyperbole" because sometimes people are confused between "hyperbole" and "hyperbola".

/hmm

Since Calvin isn't active anymore,Im trying to find sum1 who want to manage this thread.
Anybody interested to manage the quiz?

whoa your english skills are better than mine and I'm from Australia
no idea what totem pro parte is..
from what i know Pars Pro Toto is a sorta synecdoche

haha it's cos I chose to learn indo at school instead of latin
indo's waay easier though

URL Pendek:

| JAKARTA | BANDUNG | PEKANBARU | SURABAYA | SEMARANG |

Back
Atas.