• Saat ini anda mengakses IndoForum sebagai tamu dimana anda tidak mempunyai akses penuh untuk melihat artikel dan diskusi yang hanya diperuntukkan bagi anggota IndoForum. Dengan bergabung maka anda akan memiliki akses penuh untuk melakukan tanya-jawab, mengirim pesan teks, mengikuti polling dan menggunakan feature-feature lainnya. Proses registrasi sangatlah cepat, mudah dan gratis.
    Silahkan daftar dan validasi email anda untuk dapat mengakses forum ini sepenuhnya sebagai anggota. Harap masukkan alamat email yang benar dan cek email anda setelah daftar untuk validasi.

American english or British english?

I found my friend tried to speak in English in a very jumbled structure that I can't understand those he had said

I agree. I'm afraid you're one of those unlucky bloopers :D. Please compare your original post with the corrected one below it:

I don't think so about what accent we are in when speaking English, but a really understandable English the essential. Sometimes, I found my friend tried to speak in English in a very jumbled structure that I can't understand those he had said.
As what I've known so far , I found Indonesian mostly don't differ British English either American one when they speak. Except in a educational level, like teacher and lecturer, they do differ those AE and BE. for practice, It will be better using American English since it had simple structure and don't have a very contrast difference of the formal form and informal form rather than British one. I prefer American English , It's global, simple and practically used in common even easier to learn

I don't think it matters which accent we use when speaking English, what matters is we use understandable English. Sometimes I find my friend trying to speak English in a very jumbled structure that I can't understand what he says.
As far as I know, I find most Indonesians don't differentiate British English from American one when they speak. Except in an educational level, like teachers and lecturers, they do differentiate AE from BE. In practice, It will be better to use American English since it has a simpler structure and doesn't have a very contrast difference between its formal form and informal form rather than the British one. I prefer American English, It's more global, simpler, more practical , more common and easier to learn

You see, in order to CHOOSE between two things, you must first KNOW BOTH.
All I see here is people claiming to have chosen US over Brit, while in fact they don't know which one is which.
People claim to have CHOSEN, while in fact they're stuck with one thing cos they don't even know they have a CHOICE.:D

I agree. I'm afraid you're one of those unlucky bloopers :D. Please compare your original post with the corrected one below it:

You see, in order to CHOOSE between two things, you must first KNOW BOTH.
All I see here is people claiming to have chosen US over Brit, while in fact they don't know which one is which.
People claim to have CHOSEN, while in fact they're stuck with one thing cos they don't even know they have a CHOICE.:D
nicely put mate... nicely put... :D

nobody speaks British English in Indonesia...

ever heard anybody swearing using words like... Bollocks, Wanker, Shite, etc ??

No ??

well, as I know
we Indonesian usually used mixed AE n BE in common
have you ever noticed "color and colour" in the conversation?
most of us don't noticed it since the pronounciation is almost similar
and too
Can in AE or BE have different pronounciation, but we Indonesian usually don't give a damn about that

about swearing, I never heard kinda words like bollocks etc

Still not interested in taking a proper english course aren't u ?? :D :D

BE and AE is not only about the spellings, it also about the accent, the variety of words and lots of stuff.

By saying that u never've heard the swear words in my previous post stating that you don't even know what your talking about besides of giving the color and colour example.

So i'll say, before trying to catch the big fish, why don't u start on the small fish (i.e. fix ur english first)

Actually, for us asians, especially indonesians, we're never actually aware which english we're using.
For years my english teachers at SMP had been telling me it was american english they were teaching, but they always wrote 'colours' instead of 'colors', 'flavour' instead of 'flavor', etc.

Dude, u really speak 4 different english versions? Don't you mean different accents? We asians can claim whichever english we speak, but our accents are always 'asian english'. What makes it different is the pronunciation (some), phrases and impressions we use, not the accent.
Tell me, how d'you pronounce CAN'T in american english, and in british? don't bother using transcription letters, just use indonesian alphabet.
I do.
Anything. But I majorly speak in American English.
And I do know about the accent but their accents is different too you know.

Can't
US = 'khent
UK = 'khan-t

nobody speaks British English in Indonesia...

ever heard anybody swearing using words like... Bollocks, Wanker, Shite, etc ??

No ??
BPK Penabur (that's my schools) standardized all of Penabur's school use British English, and the International Classes (Tanjung Duren, PIS) are using Cambridge's Curriculum. The books are Longman's. Well for Native English Teacher they've imported teachers from UK, US, Canada, and Australia. Our teachers are learning UK English as well.

god.. please make the article in paragraphs so that i won't hurt my eyes so much.. its givin me a headache..

as for me, i use british english for writings as this is the most acceptable form of english

You can't say you're speaking american english or british english.. its british accent or american accent.. pronunciations in these two english are the same.. I'm speaking in an american accent but i still say a few words in the british accent.. (for example: can't)

Most of my teachers speak in american english as a lot of them are Native American speakers.. Some of them are from Britain as well..

hope this clears a few things about accents and usage of english.. cheerz

This article outlines the differences between American English, the form of the English language spoken in the United States, and Commonwealth English (often called British English).

For the purposes of this article:
American English is the form of English used by people in the United States and, as a lingua franca or second language, by people in many parts of the world. American English does not include Canadian English; although Canadian pronunciation and vocabulary is very similar to that of the United States, Canadian spelling often takes the Commonwealth form.

Regions and countries that tend to use American English in teaching and publishing include much of Eastern Europe (including Russia), the Far East (especially Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines; although largely excluding the former British colonies of Hong Kong and Singapore), the Americas (excluding other former British colonies such as Canada, Jamaica, and the Bahamas) and, in Africa, Liberia, and Namibia. The World Bank, and the Organization of American States, among other organizations, also use American English.

Commonwealth English is the form of English used across the United Kingdom and most of its former colonies in the British Empire, most notably in much of Africa (including South Africa and Egypt), the Indian subcontinent (Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh), Malta, Australia and New Zealand, and portions of Southeast Asia (Myanmar, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand), as well as Hong Kong.
Like American English, it is used in many parts of the world as a lingua franca. This form of English, mostly interchangeable with British English, is sometimes called Commonwealth English because most of its speakers live in nations that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations.

Other nations and groups to use British English include the European Union and, often, the United Nations. Many international organizations, like the International Olympic Committee, NATO, the World Trade Organization and ISO also use British English. The forms of English spoken in Canada exhibit features of both British and American dialects; though spelling is closer to British English, pronunciation and vocabulary are much closer to American English.

Many words and phrases thought of as "Americanisms" are also used by Canadians. Although British English is a term used when describing formal written English used in the United Kingdom, the forms of spoken English used in the United Kingdom vary considerably more than in most other areas of the world in which English is spoken, even far more than in the United States, despite the vastly larger population and land area of the U.S. Dialects and accents vary not only within regions of the UK—for example, in Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales—but also within England, with differences occurring within the space of a few miles in some cases.

The written form of the language as taught in schools is universally Commonwealth English with a slight emphasis on a few words which might be more common in the specific areas than others. For example, although the words "wee" and "small" are interchangable, one is more likely to see "wee" written by a Scot than by a Londoner.

Although spoken American and British English are generally mutually intelligible, there are enough differences to occasionally cause awkward misunderstandings or even a complete failure to communicate. George Bernard Shaw once said that the United States and United Kingdom are "two countries divided by a common language"; a similar comment is ascribed to Winston Churchill. Henry Sweet predicted in 1877 that within a century, American English, Australian English and British English would be mutually unintelligible, but it may be the case that increased world-wide communication through radio, television, the Internet, and globalization has reduced the tendency to regional variation. This can result either in some variations becoming extinct (as, for instance, truck has been gradually replacing lorry in much of the world) or in the acceptance of wide variations as "perfectly good English" everywhere.

In addition to its use in English-speaking countries, English plays an important role as a technical language around the world, in medicine, computer science, air traffic control, and many other areas of concentrated expertise and formal communication among international professionals.
Happy enough?

:D Hi folks!!!
I've been gone for like months! Well I'm back now.

as for me, i use british english for writings as this is the most acceptable form of english

You can't say you're speaking american english or british english.. its british accent or american accent.. pronunciations in these two english are the same.. I'm speaking in an american accent but i still say a few words in the british accent.. (for example: can't)

/heh This is what i've been trying to tell people here.

I do.
Anything. But I majorly speak in American English.
And I do know about the accent but their accents is different too you know.

Can't
US = 'khent
UK = 'khan-t

Dude, where've you been?
Well you can say the same to me, but u quoted my post 3 months after i posted it (August vs November)

Well i see you got the can't prons right, although it took u 3 months to respond.

I still can't believe you speak American, British, Australian and Irish accents altogether on a daily basis though.
I'd like to meet you in person and see if you're for real, kid.
......Unfortunately i live in Jayapura, so that's a bit difficult /wah

I didn't notice... since this board doesn't interest me much.

im not good for both, but now i want 2 learn..

i think, i use singapore english (little english n little melayu) hehehehe...

Just learn American English la... don't drive into Singlish laaaa =))

another correction... singaporeans tend to use the letter "r" to represents the sound of "h"...

so "lahhh" in would be written like this "larrr"

or is it the malaysians ??!!

I never really studied English formally; however one day I came to the point where I knew, unaware of the differences between AmE and BrE, that this confusion over which sentence structure, pronunciation, or whatever else there gotta be was right had to end. I looked up a couple of websites on differences between either languages and deliberately chose British English. So far I've managed to come to be familiar with uses of their colloquialisms (mostly in writing) thanks to my friend from Scotland, but I've been told (by most expatriates I met) that I've got an American accent. There hasn't much been fluidity in my British speech though, but I'm working on it!

For british-english, i love the way how those chavs talk,
ya know like blad, bruv or maybe wha gwan,,

kinda cool tho,,

another correction... singaporeans tend to use the letter "r" to represents the sound of "h"...

so "lahhh" in would be written like this "larrr"

or is it the malaysians ??!!
Yes yes correct correct larr... :P And for the info, IFers tend to use "larr" to you zhi dao? =)) but that's old time... never used here in IF anymore :D

I would prefer British one since American pronounciation is totally different and cannot be predict

URL Pendek:

| JAKARTA | BANDUNG | PEKANBARU | SURABAYA | SEMARANG |

Back
Atas.