• Saat ini anda mengakses IndoForum sebagai tamu dimana anda tidak mempunyai akses penuh untuk melihat artikel dan diskusi yang hanya diperuntukkan bagi anggota IndoForum. Dengan bergabung maka anda akan memiliki akses penuh untuk melakukan tanya-jawab, mengirim pesan teks, mengikuti polling dan menggunakan feature-feature lainnya. Proses registrasi sangatlah cepat, mudah dan gratis.
    Silahkan daftar dan validasi email anda untuk dapat mengakses forum ini sepenuhnya sebagai anggota. Harap masukkan alamat email yang benar dan cek email anda setelah daftar untuk validasi.

American english or British english?

kitten sucker

IndoForum Newbie E
No. Urut
Sejak
12 Sep 2006
Pesan
Nilai reaksi
Poin
This article outlines the differences between American English, the form of the English language spoken in the United States, and Commonwealth English (often called British English).
For the purposes of this article:
American English is the form of English used by people in the United States and, as a lingua franca or second language, by people in many parts of the world. American English does not include Canadian English; although Canadian pronunciation and vocabulary is very similar to that of the United States, Canadian spelling often takes the Commonwealth form. Regions and countries that tend to use American English in teaching and publishing include much of Eastern Europe (including Russia), the Far East (especially Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines; although largely excluding the former British colonies of Hong Kong and Singapore), the Americas (excluding other former British colonies such as Canada, Jamaica, and the Bahamas) and, in Africa, Liberia, and Namibia. The World Bank, and the Organization of American States, among other organizations, also use American English. Commonwealth English is the form of English used across the United Kingdom and most of its former colonies in the British Empire, most notably in much of Africa (including South Africa and Egypt), the Indian subcontinent (Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh), Malta, Australia and New Zealand, and portions of Southeast Asia (Myanmar, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand), as well as Hong Kong. Like American English, it is used in many parts of the world as a lingua franca. This form of English, mostly interchangeable with British English, is sometimes called Commonwealth English because most of its speakers live in nations that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations. Other nations and groups to use British English include the European Union and, often, the United Nations. Many international organizations, like the International Olympic Committee, NATO, the World Trade Organization and ISO also use British English. The forms of English spoken in Canada exhibit features of both British and American dialects; though spelling is closer to British English, pronunciation and vocabulary are much closer to American English. Many words and phrases thought of as "Americanisms" are also used by Canadians. Although British English is a term used when describing formal written English used in the United Kingdom, the forms of spoken English used in the United Kingdom vary considerably more than in most other areas of the world in which English is spoken, even far more than in the United States, despite the vastly larger population and land area of the U.S. Dialects and accents vary not only within regions of the UK—for example, in Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales—but also within England, with differences occurring within the space of a few miles in some cases. The written form of the language as taught in schools is universally Commonwealth English with a slight emphasis on a few words which might be more common in the specific areas than others. For example, although the words "wee" and "small" are interchangable, one is more likely to see "wee" written by a Scot than by a Londoner. Although spoken American and British English are generally mutually intelligible, there are enough differences to occasionally cause awkward misunderstandings or even a complete failure to communicate. George Bernard Shaw once said that the United States and United Kingdom are "two countries divided by a common language"; a similar comment is ascribed to Winston Churchill. Henry Sweet predicted in 1877 that within a century, American English, Australian English and British English would be mutually unintelligible, but it may be the case that increased world-wide communication through radio, television, the Internet, and globalization has reduced the tendency to regional variation. This can result either in some variations becoming extinct (as, for instance, truck has been gradually replacing lorry in much of the world) or in the acceptance of wide variations as "perfectly good English" everywhere.
In addition to its use in English-speaking countries, English plays an important role as a technical language around the world, in medicine, computer science, air traffic control, and many other areas of concentrated expertise and formal communication among international professionals.

so.....whIch oNe Do U pReFer N uSed to uSe??

In daily use, I use American English.
In school, I use British English.
With my aunt, I speak Australian English.
Rarely use Irish English.
Actually, I'm flexible. :D

Nothing tastes better than american english, actually british and commonwealth english are rather difficult to spell, though i really think that kind of english somewhat 'graceful' and 'nice-to-hear'...

Nothing tastes better than american english, actually british and commonwealth english are rather difficult to spell, though i really think that kind of english somewhat 'graceful' and 'nice-to-hear'...

AGREE ..... !!!! :D

I rather use US English...coz it's easier to pronounce..than the British English..actually I can use both..

US english 'course
because it's easier.........

Actually, for us asians, especially indonesians, we're never actually aware which english we're using.
For years my english teachers at SMP had been telling me it was american english they were teaching, but they always wrote 'colours' instead of 'colors', 'flavour' instead of 'flavor', etc.

In daily use, I use American English.
In school, I use British English.
With my aunt, I speak Australian English.
Rarely use Irish English.
Actually, I'm flexible. :D

Dude, u really speak 4 different english versions? Don't you mean different accents? We asians can claim whichever english we speak, but our accents are always 'asian english'. What makes it different is the pronunciation (some), phrases and impressions we use, not the accent.
Tell me, how d'you pronounce CAN'T in american english, and in british? don't bother using transcription letters, just use indonesian alphabet.

Still not good at english but I'm using US english. It's easier for me to speak and write it, that's the reason /heh/heh

It doesn't matter which do you choose. Both the US people and the British can understand each other.

here's a nice article bout the Irish accent..

C'mere, boyo. Many have tried, many have failed: Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own, Val Kilmer in The Ghost and the Darkness, Richard Gere in The Jackal, Tom Cruise in Far and Away. God almighty, they were all bollocks! But it's not just the lads - the colleens are useless too: Julia Roberts in Michael Collins. But it's obviously worth trying - these notables were all too aware of the increased sexual allure of those of the Hibernian (that is, Irish) persuasion. And that accent is a powerful tool. How else do you think men with the dreadful faces of Bono and Stephen Rea could come to be considered sex symbols?

It's all in the voice, and we're here to pimp you out to whomever it is that you're hoping to impress. We'll give you some vital pointers on how to tap into the emerald vein of charming and lyrical elocution. Obviously the first thing to learn is how the phonemes sound differently in the Irish vernacular, so that you can work on pronouncing your words like a native. But perhaps something more important to bear in mind is that it's not just the way Paddies say things, it's what they say. To sound convincingly Irish, you'll need to add a new lexicon to your vocabulary. And, of course, you're going to need to some drills along the way to practice your technique.

what different American English and British english

-----------------------
Sory for my bad English

Actually, for us asians, especially indonesians, we're never actually aware which english we're using.
For years my english teachers at SMP had been telling me it was american english they were teaching, but they always wrote 'colours' instead of 'colors', 'flavour' instead of 'flavor', etc.

Dude, u really speak 4 different english versions? Don't you mean different accents? We asians can claim whichever english we speak, but our accents are always 'asian english'. What makes it different is the pronunciation (some), phrases and impressions we use, not the accent.
Tell me, how d'you pronounce CAN'T in american english, and in british? don't bother using transcription letters, just use indonesian alphabet.

I don't think so about what accent we are in when speaking English, but a really understandable English the essential. Sometimes, I found my friend tried to speak in English in a very jumbled structure that I can't understand those he had said.
As what I've known so far , I found Indonesian mostly don't differ British English either American one when they speak. Except in a educational level, like teacher and lecturer, they do differ those AE and BE. for practice, It will be better using American English since it had simple structure and don't have a very contrast difference of the formal form and informal form rather than British one. I prefer American English , It's global, simple and practically used in common even easier to learn

I speak American English. I don't speak British English well instead. The reason is mainly I deal with American books. And as far as I know, most schools in Indonesia teach British English than American English. When I was at high school, the school taught me British English also.

aha, forgot to tell which one sorry :) last but not least I prefer American English. Thanks for the correction anyways ;)

nobody speaks British English in Indonesia...

ever heard anybody swearing using words like... Bollocks, Wanker, Shite, etc ??

No ??

nobody speaks British English in Indonesia...

ever heard anybody swearing using words like... Bollocks, Wanker, Shite, etc ??

No ??

You do have a point. Many of us claimed to be able to use British English. But there's no way we can understand the slank.

Majority of Indonesians speak American English. thanks to Hollywood and MTV. people in most parts of the world are getting more and more familiar with American English.

You do have a point. Many of us claimed to be able to use British English. But there's no way we can understand the slank.

Majority of Indonesians speak American English. thanks to Hollywood and MTV. people in most parts of the world are getting more and more familiar with American English.
not quietly catch the point there.... i would say we are able to use British English it's not that difficult...

If we're talking about ability, indonesian people are one of the easiest people in the world to learn new language.. coz we don't really have a thick local accent (except for certain people)

im not talking about ability. im talking about people who think they know british english, but in fact they don't.

easiest people to learn a new language huh? you sure? i dunno why many people believe this.
but i've seen real action of indonesian learning chinese japanese and french (im learning these three). they were having trouble as much as anybody did.

URL Pendek:

| JAKARTA | BANDUNG | PEKANBARU | SURABAYA | SEMARANG |

Back
Atas.