• Saat ini anda mengakses IndoForum sebagai tamu dimana anda tidak mempunyai akses penuh untuk melihat artikel dan diskusi yang hanya diperuntukkan bagi anggota IndoForum. Dengan bergabung maka anda akan memiliki akses penuh untuk melakukan tanya-jawab, mengirim pesan teks, mengikuti polling dan menggunakan feature-feature lainnya. Proses registrasi sangatlah cepat, mudah dan gratis.
    Silahkan daftar dan validasi email anda untuk dapat mengakses forum ini sepenuhnya sebagai anggota. Harap masukkan alamat email yang benar dan cek email anda setelah daftar untuk validasi.

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him.”

singthung

IndoForum Junior E
No. Urut
Sejak
21 Sep 2006
Pesan
Nilai reaksi
Poin
c0280012036.jpg

It actually comes from an old koan attributed to Zen Master Linji, (the founder of the Rinzai sect). It’s a simple one:

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him.” — Linji

I’m sure you already realize that it’s not being literal. The road, the killing, and even the Buddha are symbolic.

The road is generally taken to mean the path to Enlightenment; that might be through meditation, study, prayer, or just some aspect of your way of life. Your life is your “road.” That’s fairly straightforward as far as metaphors go.

But how do you meet the Buddha on this “road?” Imagine meeting some symbolic Buddha. Would he be a great teacher that you might actually meet and follow in the real world? Could that Buddha be you yourself, having reached Enlightenment? Or maybe you have some idealized image of perfection that equates to your concept of the Buddha or Enlightenment.

Whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Most people have heard the first chapter of the Tao, “The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.” (So if you think you see the real Tao, kill it and move on).

================SECOND VIEW======================

I heard this saying years ago, and the explanation I got was somewhat different -- possibly because the person telling it to me was from a more warlike tradition. Yes, there are more warlike Buddhist traditions ::ducks for flames:: The explanation I heard was that if you see the Buddha on the road, it is the path you should take, and by killing him you become him. The explanation below from the Daily Dharma is related, but different. But since we're all one, I guess it doesn't really matter.
-----------------------------------------------

If You See The Buddha, Kill Him
For 300 years after Buddha's death there were no Buddha images. The
people's practice was the image of the Buddha, there was no need to
externalize it. But in time, as the practice was lost, people began to
place the Buddha outside of their own minds, back in time and space.
As the concept was externalized and images were made, great teachers
started to reemphasize the other meaning of Buddha. There is a saying:
"If you see the Buddha, kill him." Very shocking to people who offer
incense and worship before an image. If you have a concept in the mind
of a Buddha outside yourself, kill it, let it go. . . . Gotama Buddha
repeatedly reminded people that the experience of truth comes from
one's own mind.

URL Pendek:

| JAKARTA | BANDUNG | PEKANBARU | SURABAYA | SEMARANG |

Back
Atas.